Going on a road trip this Thanksgiving? Between dropping temperatures and surging Covid-19 numbers the last thing you want to happen is for your car to break down while you're on the road in the middle of a pandemic. With Thanksgiving being one of the most popular times to travel it's a good idea to go through this checklist to help ensure vehicle safety and reliability in order to avoid any unscheduled stops. Doing a holiday pre-trip inspection can reduce the chance of unexpected, costly repairs and help to ensure a stress-free road trip.
- Check all fluids (engine oil, power steering and brake and transmission, as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant)
- Check hoses and belts (look for any that are cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or show signs of excessive wear)
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread
- Make sure all lights are working (interior and exterior)
- Check wipers. Wiper blades should be replaced every six months. (make sure the windshield wipers are working and keep the reservoir filled with solvent)
Don't forget to restock your emergency kit with a first aid kit, flash light, simple tools, work gloves, jumper cables, some snacks, extra money, rain poncho and maybe even a blanket!
If you're planning a trip this fall/winter and your vehicle is due for service we recommend scheduling an appointment so we can inspect your vehicle (for free) and give yourself some peace of mind when you're traveling!